So this month is American Heart Month. At the same time, the importance of this month is for everyone to live healthier and longer. Let’s begin making healthier choices today.
American Heart Month
When you think about the month of February; hearts come to mind. Indeed, with Valentine’s Day around the corner; it is important to think about our health as well. Of course, a few small changes in your diet can make a difference. Since heart disease is the leading cause of death in both Men and Women; it is important to make healthier choices.
American Heart Diet
In the first place, you can easily make a few changes to your diet. Try to make the following changes gradually in your diet and lifestyle.
- First and foremost, know how many calories you should eat and drink to maintain your weight.
- Eat fruits and vegetables regularly.
- Visit our Three Ways to Overcome Weight Gain post for some ideas.
- Ultimately, Green Tea is a great way to lower your blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Use cold press extra virgin olive oil.
- When planning your meals; make sure you add 25 – 35 grams of fiber to your diet per day.
- Snack on nuts.
Heart Health Food Tips
In addition to the above suggestions; you can also try the following.
- Don’t be afraid to drink a glass of red wine. Indeed, one to three ounces or red wine can reduce your risk of a heart attack.
- In addition, eat one clove of garlic daily.
- Also, eat soy and flaxseed in your diet.
- Another important tip is to cut back on sugar. Visit our National Sugar Awareness Week post for tips on cutting your sugar intake.
Heart Healthy Lifestyle Tips
Of course regular exercise helps you maintain your weight. Not to mention, exercise is beneficial to your well being. It is recommended that 150 minutes of moderate exercise is done per week. If you’re exercising at a vigorous capacity; 75 minutes is recommended per week.
In addition, take a walk regularly. Visit our Benefits of Cardio Exercise Fitness Plan for some tips in getting in better cardiovascular health. Meanwhile, stretching is beneficial in keeping your joints limber. Visit our Muscles Stretching Hamstring Exercises post for some tips on keeping your muscles flexible.
In essence, it is important to turn American Heart Month into a lifetime of healthy lifestyle changes.
As always, I welcome your comments.